Search This Blog

Thursday, October 21, 2010

217. "Something I Learned Today" by Hüsker Dü


Requested by Bill Rodeheaver.

Interestingly, this is the second cover in a row begining with the letters "SOMETHING I". Possibly the subconscious at work here, and not just on Bill's request: Chris Huff requested Sean Cassidy's version of "Da Doo Ron Ron", and it clicked in my head-- I think because I remember my dad learning the lyrics to the Cassidy version when it was a hit-- that in that cover, Sean sings "Somebody tolde me that her name was Jill" in order to masculinize the lyric, and I wondered if that was in any way related to my just having covered "Ask for Jill". Huff would neither confirm nor deny. In any case, it's always a pleasure to have a go at a Bob Mould tune... or a Grant Hart one, since, also coincidentally, Grant's wonderful solo tune "2541" was requested today.

This is unquestionably the rawest recording I have ever posted to 39-40. Well, maybe some of those sickbed straight-to-condenser mic things were rougher, but I haven't done anything like that for a long time. The guitar and vocal are one-take deals, with, and this is very rare, no processing whatsoever on them, no trims at the beginning and end, nothing. The "second" guitar track is just a copy of the first, basically doused in lighter fluid and set ablaze. The weird little tag at the end was my response to Eden, who is upstairs playing and singing that song over and over again, trying out harmonies, maybe recording it, I don't know, and as weird as it is, I have to admit that it's cool, and accept that it's surely me who has made that seem like a normal thing to do around the house, and that, too, strikes me as cool.

Personnel: Rex

No comments:

Post a Comment