Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

363. "10,000 Miles" by The Church



...and with the clang and chime of what must be the most massive wall of guitar I've ever posted here, the Skates & Rays recreation of The Church's Remote Luxury album is complete.

When I started 39-40, I didn't imagine that it would produce what can only be viewed as Skates & Rays' second full album, especially given the scarce involvement of the band in the early days. In retrospect it seems like kind of a no-brainer, and a natural that it would be a Church album we tackled. I'm also glad we did a sort of hodge-podgey red-headed stepchild of a record, rather than a magnum opus like The Blurred Crusade or Seance; it gave us a little space to work with and fewer sacred cows to which to live up.

It's funny that I ended up leaving the two Marty Willson-Piper songs for last. "Volumes" is one I'm not incredibly fond of, so it took a while to work up the concept. This one I just love, and we did it really quite faithfully until it gets to that bridge... and really, a weird but unproggy time-signature change is a pretty Churchy way to go. It's really the first time Skates & Rays has put such a thing in any of our arrangements, garage semi-purists that we tend to be (mostly because of my own leanings), but I think we pulled it off, thanks to the rhythm section. Well done, boys. In our enthusiasm we managed to completely forget the guitar solo section, but I think I more than compensated with the bite I put into the incidental leads and the knifey stuff that overlays those two ersatz bridges.

A little remixing remains before I release our Luxury properly, but for now, we out.

Personnel:
SKATES & RAYS
Rex Broome ~ Guitars & vocals
Derek Hanna ~ Drums
Clifford Ulrich ~ Bass

No comments:

Post a Comment