Search This Blog

Sunday, November 21, 2010

248. "Divine Hammer" by The Breeders


Early in the days of Skates & Rays, this song bubbled up from my subconscious as one of several originally female-sung songs I wanted to try to cover. I thought we'd probably come away with a slightly more garage-sounding version of it which would sit nicely alongside our original material. And over the years we have started to work on it a time or two, but never to the point of presentability. I have done it at a few acoustic gigs, sometimes as part of a medley (a tiny bit of which makes it into this recording) and it's come to be one of my acoustic standbys. The last time the band was looking to expand our covers repertoire I threw together a disc of the original versions and was surprised to find out I'd been playing it in a very different key from the recording. Usually I pluck the right key out of the air, but not this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment