Search This Blog

Sunday, October 3, 2010

199. "Crazy Horses" by The Osmonds


Requested by Greg Whitmore.

I don't really remember The Osmonds, apart from Donnie and Marie, and honestly, I mostly remember them because of this. I first heard this song on a cassette compilation given to me by the amazing Charlie Eckstrom, a great deal of which was derived from LPs in his mind-boggling vinyl vault. Charlie has some of the best and rarest '80s post-punk and college rock, and there would always be some intriguing discoveries of that type on his compilations, but there would also be one or two incredible curveballs, which might be, you know, let's just say, the theme from Sanford & Son, the audio from a particularly amazing TV Funhouse sketch, a Meco classic from the era of disco-fied film themes, or this tune, which I thought was one of the weirdest things I'd ever heard. Sonically, at least... now that I've spent some quality time with the lyrics, which suggest some kind of End of Days apocalypse or perhaps some kind of dread paranoia about the natural world, like Talking Heads' "Animals" but with no ironic distance, I know for certain this it is one of the weirdest things I've ever heard.

Peronnel: Rex Broome & His Crazy Horses

No comments:

Post a Comment