Search This Blog

Sunday, October 24, 2010

220. "Needle-In-A-Haystack Girls" by The Bye Bye Blackbirds


Requested by Jeff Norman. Yeah, I know, but that's how it rolls.

I wish I'd had more time with this one! And frankly I feel sort of ripped off by fate; I was going to get to record this one with Skates & Rays, but the rehearsal got scrapped at the last minute... that would've been cool, and it would've let me play around the guitar interplay a lot more; I sure do like listening to it on the original. But the way this recording unfolded was gratifying in its own way. I have no idea if anyone else in the world will enjoy listening to it, but I do, and that's gotta count for something. Hearing it back, it seems to me as if it unfolded within a dream or something, like there are overtones in there I neither intended nor recall.

There's also the fact that the entire second half of the performance just happened. Obviously I went back in and complemented it with a few overdubs, but basically what was intended to be the playout, probably a fadeout, turned spontaneously into something else. I may have been back in the Skates & Rays mindset, because during our brief two-guitar lineup with the estimable Charlie Eckstrom we would do a variation on this exact thing, sounding kind of like Galaxie 500 and New Order playing at the same time. I always liked it quite a good deal and it bothers me a little that no recording exists.

Personnel: Rex

No comments:

Post a Comment