Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

33. "The Times They Are A Changin'" by Simon & Garfunkel


And finally I'm able to present a recording with a genuine guest performer not related to myself. Lending his talents to this version of Simon & Garfunkel's version of the Dylan tune is Mr. Clifford Ulrich, who plays bass guitar and sings with me in Skates & Rays, and contributes the songs that I don't write. Good man, good musician.

The political Dylan songs-- which I sort of think of as the Middle Period of his Early Period-- aren't my favorites, not quite possessing the spook of his earlier roots reinterpetations nor the ultra-spook of what he dove into next. But they do have an eerie power of their own; the song definitely came barreling through me from elsewhere when I sat down with the lyric sheet to sing it all the way through for the first time ever. "Visions of Johanna" I've sung a million times before; this one not so much.

Anyway, Cliff and I sort of did this backwards and messed a lot of stuff up, as you can hear, but we learned a good deal about what not to do next time. The methodology is necessarily different with two musicians... I can't just contain all the plans in my head like I'm used to, so that's a good challenge.

Personnel:
Rex Broome~ Acoustic guitar, lead vocal, harmony vocal, bass, left harmonica
Clifford Ulrich ~ Harmony vocal, right harmonica, electric guitar

No comments:

Post a Comment