Search This Blog

Saturday, April 24, 2010

37. "Magenta Moon" by Rex Broome

When I set out to do this project, I considered putting my own songs off limits. I also thought about excluding odd stuff like stage banter (which I've by now done twice) and any number of other odd things which might happen, but I eventually decided to let everything ride... random is random, and The Machine is The Machine, and I gotta keep myself honest. So up pops one of my own compositions for the first time. Hey, at least it took more than a month.

In this case I'm sort of glad, because this song really never found a place after I made the demo you can hear here as the "original"; it didn't quite fit with what Skates & Rays were doing at the time and I didn't really have anywhere else for it to go. At one point Gen expressed some interest in singing it, which sounded like a good idea both at the time and today when I was faced with how to record this thing a little differently. I did change the arrangement a bit as well, but right at the time I was ready for Gen to do her vocal, she walked up to me and said, "I think I have a fever... can you check?" She did, but she went ahead and did the vocal anyway; I didn't torture her for multiple takes, so what you have here is sort of a demo-level remake of an older demo. Now if we could just get the whole household healthy...

Personnel:
Genevieve Broome ~ Vocal
Rex Broome ~ The rest

No comments:

Post a Comment