Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

181. "Punk Rock Girl" by The Dead Milkmen


This marks the first time on 39-40 that I'm doing a cover of a song not randomly selected for me by The Machine. It's a matter of days before I switch to an all-requests format anyway-- I'll post about that tomorrow-- but I'm doing this as part of web-wide memorial for Carol Marie Geddes, organized around a ladybug release by her husband and my friend Glen Uber. It's in progress even as I write this. I'd hoped to be able to attend, but Glen asked me instead to dedicated today's cover to her, and I'm happy to oblige.

Glen's written a lot about Carol and his experiences since losing, and I asked if he wanted to say anthing to go with the blog posting. Here's what he had to say:

I don't know exactly what you want me to say about the song other than that Carol happened to be in the video at the very beginning and was thrilled because she adored the Dead Milkmen. She had moved on from punk clothing and haircuts by the time I met her, but she was still a little punk rock girl through and through. Her favorite band was the Ramones, though she also loved the Cure, the Beatles, Buddy Holly, and especially ska.

You've seen the posts I've made and likely read her obituary. Everything I've written about her or to her has been the truth, so feel free to use any of that if you'd like.

The best therapy for me this past year has been music, especially some of the music she loved and songs that remind me of her. Our songs. Our wedding songs. Our goofy, playtime songs. The love songs we had for each other. Rather than making me sad, they are oddly comforting in a bittersweet way.

I guess if you say nothing else, just say that I loved her more than anything in this world and will love her until I take my last breath. And I miss her like crazy.

Thanks, Rex! Ladybug Love always!

With a little luck, someone will spot this post soon and those at the release will get to hear this version of the song before it's over.

Personnel: Rex



No comments:

Post a Comment