Search This Blog

Monday, January 10, 2011

298. "Badger Badger Badger" by Weebl


The original is the music to an old internet phenomenon from 2003 (prehistoric in that arena) that I somehow missed at the time, primarily meant to be experienced as an endless flash animation. Eden pointed it out to me a few days ago, and I assumed that it was a new riff on the apparent importance of badgers in the upcoming season of Doctor Who, but such was obviously not the case. Nonetheless it stuck in my head as something that would be easy to do as a stopgap for 39-40 (not that I ever need those, of course) and something that would just be a fascinating curiosity as a decontextualized recording amongst the others on the blog. A bit of variety, you know. I guess the sounds on 39-40 are pretty diverse, but it often doesn't seem that way to me, inside looking out.

Our version is in a different key, not that it really matters, but I dig the fact that I added an actual bass part to the song. It's one of those "less is more" basslines, for which I have an ever growing affinity and appreciation. At least it feels like a recent thing to me; truth be told, the parts I come up with in that idiom are almost always akin to to the minimalist throb on "Papua New Guinea" by Future Sound of London, a track I've been obsessed with since shortly after it appeared, an even longer time ago than the whole badger thing. I also love the Au Pairs drum loop that powers the whole thing along.

Personnel:
Rex Broome ~ Male rock vocal, bass, loops and stuff
Eden Hain ~ Female rock vocal

1 comment:

  1. I'll tell ya - while this song doesn't call for "singing" per se, Eden's vocals here are definitely a *performance*. Girl's getting really good.

    ReplyDelete