Search This Blog

Thursday, December 2, 2010

259. "Sugar Mountain" by Neil Young


This is the belated fulfilling of a request by Bill Rodeheaver on the occasion of his 40th birthday, which seems altogether more than appropriate given the whole point of my blog, and completely natural given that Mr. R. was my classmate at Keyser High School. I've known this song for a long time, but I was slightly surprised to learn that the original recording was played with a guitar tuned down a whole step from standard (in retrospect I should have realized this, because it really does sound that way). Singing along with the record came a lot more naturally than singing it along with my standard-tuning guitar, so I was about to tune it down when it occurred to me that my 12-string acoustic, like many such instruments, is actually tuned a whole step down at all times and semi-permanently capoed on the second fret. So all I had to do was pop off the capo and I had it. The side effect of playing it on the 12-string was that my final recording much more closely resembles the live version of the song on Live Rust than the original presented here. You either totally already knew that and are annoyed that I felt the need to point it out, or you didn't, don't care either way, and are probably irritated that I've wasted your time.

Personnel: Rex

No comments:

Post a Comment