Search This Blog

Saturday, December 11, 2010

268. "The Little Black Egg" by The Nightcrawlers


This song's been an obsession of mine since I first heard it, which was, I then believed, rather late in the game (on the first Nuggets box set). I adopted it for my own in short order, not knowing just how many cover versions of it there were; it seemed an unlikely contender among Nuggets fare, being neither especially snarly and fuzzed-out nor overtly psychedelic, and altogether too primitive to get the baroque treatment. It's uniquely spooky, though, and in its simplicity about as appealing as anything quite so twee ever gets.

At some point I passed along my love of the song to Miranda, probably when I loaded it onto her mp3 player among a ton of other songs to get her started. She zeroed in on it without my pointing her in its direction at all (Miranda often finds her way to the same places as me via completely independent routes). She was starting to play bass at the time and immediately keyed into its memorable characteristic runs, and then, for some reason, even learned the lead guitar part-- that's unusual since she rarely picks up a guitar, being quite attached to a her bass, and tends to favor the uke as a strumming instrument. In any case, I started this recording intending to feature her as much as possible, assuming I'd be laying in a few overdub here and there, especially in the backing vocal department, but it didn't work out that way. As she recorded the lead vocal, we realized that she also already knew the low harmony on the record, so she ended up doing all the vocals, as well as, of course, the bass, and shared lead guitar duties with me. I am well pleased.

Personnel:
Miranda Broome ~ Lead and backing vocals, bass, lead guitar (6-string)
Rex Broome ~ Rhythm guitar, lead guitar (12-string), drum fakery and engineering whatnot



No comments:

Post a Comment