Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

286. "Lysander" by Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians


Another recording done by "earballing it" (recording without headphones), a process which seems to push me to use uncharacteristic guitar sounds. This one is a preset designed for an acoustic guitar (and no fucking way would I ever use it on an acoustic), but slathered on top of my Tele Deluxe's two Fenderfied humbuckers it seemed to suggest some of the solo electric tones on Hitchcock's solo albums (the awesome ones with the green covers). It probably has a little too much delay and chorus on it to sound truly authentic, and I probably could have twiki'ed it around a bit better, but given the compromised listening situation that would probably have just mucked it up yet still more, so I left it alone, figuring I might as well put some weird-sounding stuff out while I have the excuse.

The Perspex Island record comes in for a pretty severe drubbing from a lot of Hitchcock fans. I like it a great deal myself. The guy's got a deep catalog and doesn't seem to be slowing down, so it's easy enough to cherry-pick the best stuff. Just play nice, okay?

Personnel: Rex

No comments:

Post a Comment