Search This Blog

Monday, February 28, 2011

347. "He Stopped Loving Her Today" by George Jones


Completely Unplanned Country & Western Week continues here at 39-40. Cut at the same time as "Loving Cup", with almost the exact same backstory including the feature of another fine Derek Hanna lead vocal, here's one of George Jones' many "comeback hits", and probably the biggest one. Again, the whole thing was Derek's idea.

During this session Cliff told me that a female country artist-- I can't remember who and I can't find any references to it online-- recorded an answer song to this one called something along the lines of "She Never Stopped Loving Him", which kind of made me want to write an answer answer song called "Fat Lot of Fucking Good It Does Him Now That He's Dead", because I think that would make a good country song even, or perhaps especially, devoid of the context.

Personnel:
SKATES & RAYS
Derek Hanna ~ Drums, lead vocal
Rex Broome ~ Guitars, harmonica, backing vocal
Clifford Ulrich ~ Bass


1 comment:

  1. If you don't write that answer answer, I will. Or, if you start and get stuck, holler and I will contribute idears.

    ReplyDelete