Search This Blog

Friday, February 4, 2011

323. "She Comes in Colors" by Love


Having just recently for the first time posted a repeated version of a song, albeit with the caveat that the artists performing the cover were different (talkin' bout this and this), here I'm taking it a couple steps further. Although the last time I posted a cover of "She Comes in Colors" it was a solo "studio" version, and this one is by Skates & Rays performing live, those aren't hairs I'm interested in splitting. It's the same guy singing and playing all the guitar, and I don't even have an alternative "original" version to post. But I thought it would be, having come this far, actually sort of fun to see, at least once, what happens when a song goes from being something I just know how to play to a thing the band can perform live at a show.

The song made it into our set pretty much by accident. We were looking to add a big bunch of covers to the repertoire in order to keep the Oyster House crowd involved, but we weren't thinking of anything quite this offbeat. I don't remember why, but I started playing it idly at a rehearsal, and the band jumped in, with Derek coming up with a very cool drum approach which was a lot different from the original but a perfect fit, and we just figured we'd roll with it. As it turns out, purely by accident, we did keep a few people in the bar a few song longer by doing it. One of them was Eden's dad, whom I did know to be a big fan of Arthur Lee, but I had no idea that he'd be just about to leave when we uncorked it, so hey... thank you, Mr. Lee.

Personnel:
SKATES & RAYS
Rex Broome ~ Guitar & vocal
Derek Hanna ~ Drums
Clifford Ullrich ~ Bass
Recorded live at The Oyster House, Studio City, CA, 2/4/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment