Search This Blog

Friday, June 11, 2010

85. "Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)" by The Arcade Fire


Time is of the damn essence in these things. Eden was supposed to sing on this one, too, but she was out at a play with a friend and didn't get home until her bedtime. We've rushed things through in the past, but it just wasn't happening this time. Consequently there's a lot more of my voice on this one than I would have liked.

I am, however, especially pleased that Ridley and Miranda got to sing on it. The Arcade Fire was the first band Miranda ever saw, at the Hollywood Bowl about a year before she started Kindergarten, and she's loved the band ever since. The year after that was my "bachelor" period, and whenever the kids were at my little apartment we'd have Funeral on as our soundtrack, and even now Ridley, who was three at the time, recognizes songs from that album as things we used to listen to at "our old house".

Aside from the kids singing on it, I wanted to take this song down in scale a bit: it's huge and expansive, but it has a very intimate story at its core, and I wanted to bring that out. I still wanted it to build, but far more gradually, and to a more... I don't know, domestic-sounding crescendo. That was the idea at least. My favorite detail is the little drum part that sneaks in just at the very end... mellow as it is, it's the first thing played on an approximation of a kit in the whole song, and the fist element to deviate from the very straight beat of the song. There's more, of course, but these things are getting too long...

Personnel:
Ridley Broome: Voice #1, artwork
Miranda Broome: Voice #2, artwork
Rex Broome: Voice #3, everything else


No comments:

Post a Comment