Search This Blog

Thursday, July 1, 2010

105. "Cornflake Girl" by Tori Amos


I think I'm somewhat of a rarity as a casual Tori Amos fan... most people seem to either love her or hate her. I've never seen any reason to do the latter, but I've also never really gone through a period of being severely spellbound by her. I admire her a lot, and I think she takes a lot of unnecessary guff just for being who she is.

This particular song reminds me of a weird, somewhat actually good period of enjoyable radio in the mid '90s when the bloom was off of the grunge explosion and subsequent bandwagoneering, and stations like KROQ didn't quite know what to play until the miracle of Nu Metal was delivered to them by the Gods of Awful Things. There were halting attempts to play some of various Next Big Genres, like electronica Britpop or loungecore or lo-fi indie stuff; none pf them ever achieved dominance, so you had some actually eclectic radio for a while (none of which remained in rotation or is much remembered today). But commercial radio was briefly mixing up Sebadoh, Underworld, Black Grape, The Cardigans, and Portishead. I recall "Cornflake Girl" as one of the most enjoyable singles of that time, and also because I was dead sure that the title was a lift from Billy Bragg's "Body of Water".

Personnel: Rex

1 comment:

  1. And the man who wrote "Elastic Man" thinks he knows so much...

    ReplyDelete