Search This Blog

Friday, May 21, 2010

64. "I Believe" by My Bloody Valentine


I still can't get over the fact that some Hot Topic band got away with naming themselves Bullet for My Valentine. Hell, why not go all the way and call yourself The Jesus & Mary Chair?

When The Machine spits out the MBV, you have a big decision to make. Do you go for a revelatory recontextualization, or just have the most fun ever making some sweet loud soup? Today's answer was that I had a hard time imagining a reworking of the band's sound that would be any more radical, or for that matter successful, than what Japancakes did to Loveless a few years back. So I opted for loud soup... just a slightly different flavor of loud soup. The thing I like most about my version is the "Tomorrow Never Knows"-style backbeat I added to the verses, a part that's very blurry on the original... a move that I think pushes this thing a little closer to being a pop song.

Personnel: Rex

No comments:

Post a Comment